Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A different take on organizing

Asked to discuss how someone else might organize my room, I really don't know. Bedrooms, and all personal spaces for that matter, are something unique to the individual. To try and guess at how someone else organizes it would be to guess at the type of person they are.

I would suppose, though, that on average I am less organized overall. Looking around as I type this, I see a bunch of things that could have a 'place' but are simply laying around. I see a couple of 2 liter soda bottles that are sitting right next to my mini-fridge, for example. It will take longer to type this sentence to put them away, and I imagine anyone else would do so. I have documents from this and past semesters laying about, while a filing cabinet is literally at my knee. Small tools, buttons, and other random bits of things used recently litter my desk. Anyone would be able to pick up half my room and put it away very easily.

Does this make me a slob? I don't want to say 'Yup!' because that is certainly unattractive, but it is hard for me to say 'No' too. I think that the things I use more often are closer at hand while things less used are stored. This says to me I am about being efficient, even at the cost of aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I will go on a cleaning binge, reorganize near everything, and be happy with the results. I just don't think constantly fighting my room is a good use of time.

1 comment:

  1. What does this, then, say about what you value? Is it time? In which case, then, the order isn't as important as your value of time. I'm guessing there might be other things in your life you do order as you see their order more important than the time it takes to do it. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete